1949 Ford Tudor
1949 Ford Tudor
The 1949 Ford was an American automobile produced by Ford. It was the first all-new automobile design introduced by the Big Three after World War II, civilian production having been suspended during the war, and the 1946-1948 models from Ford, GM, and Chrysler being updates of their pre-war models. Popularly called the "Shoebox Ford" for its slab-sided, "ponton" design, the 1949 Ford is credited both with saving Ford and ushering in modern streamlined car design with changes such as integrated fenders and more. This design would continue through the 1951 model year, with an updated design offered in 1952.
For consignment the car that singlehandedly did away with the American car concept of old that utilized distinct fenders and running boards, and ushered in the era of slab sided envelope styling with a clear clean line from front to back no running boards no protruding fenders, and I might add a nifty restoration that holds up and shows very well.
Sitting in its simplified glory we have a nice chromed grille complete with a turbine style central monicker 8 in red. A circular F O R D hovers above and follows the line of the turbine and fronts the massive hood. All straight steel panels, bathed in very tasteful blue covers this split window, 2 door sedan. Bringing up the rear are two simple oval taillights, some badging around the trunk lever, and a clean long and no marred bumper. A nice chromed spear runs just below the belt line, is also pristine, and add a nice highlight to the steel slab sides. Wide whites are on all 4 corners, and standard Ford wheel covers in their shining glory are present as well. A small detraction is noted upon the driver's door just above the handle, as it looks like some ink or dark blue spots somehow got on the finish and then were blown backwards…somewhat unusual but now noted.
Opening the doors reveals very clean door panels with textured nap felting in tan and dark brown on the lower section that is tuck and roll stitched. Nicely done bullet style handles are present, as is a vinyl and felt covered door handle/armrest. Looking inward we are met with an inviting bench seat with a split back. These beauties are covered with a dark tan and blue stripe in a light tan field tweed pattern, and plain tan uppers. Beautiful piping surrounds the edges, and they sit within a perfectly restored metal “tub” if you will. The rear bench emulates the same tasteful pattern and is also pristine. These benches sit upon a near perfect black carpet with some rubber inlay in the hump section. Turning our attention to the dash we see a centrally located circular gauge cluster surrounded below by a smattering of chromed knobs and pulls and gray painted metal. A large oval windowed radio with push buttons sits in the center of the dash right below a chromed winged circular clock which is mounted to the top of the dash. 3 aftermarket gauges are mounted to the bottom of the dash, which is fronted by a very clean original steering wheel. One more note to the interior a heater is mounted below the dash on the passenger's side.
In the center of a restored engine bay sits a gold painted engine block and intake manifold topped by a matching oil bath air cleaner. All hoses are shiny and showroom new, as well as wiring. Worth mentioning it is a 239ci Flathead V8 and it is backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. It is not known if it is the original engine, however it is correct in size and color based on the options of the day.
Not only ushering in the pontoon body style, the undercarriage was innovative as well in that a modern ladder frame now supporting a coil spring independent suspension in front and longitudinal semi-elliptical springs in back. The engine was moved forward to make more room in the passenger compartment and the antiquated "torque tube" was replaced by a modern drive shaft. All this showing in a clean rust-free environment, not unlike the upper body of this car.
A piece of automotive history if you desire, with a new design that would last until cars grew fins, and an undercarriage that boldly went where no other US manufacturer went before. A very nice overall example, very tastefully done, and ready to go and show.
8BA-Ford V8 100HP
507734-Sequential Unit Number
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 300 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.