1971 Jaguar XJ6
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Sedan
A 21-year-old with an eye for business – William Lyons – joined forces with motorcycle sidecar specialist William Walmsley in 1922 to form the Swift Sidecar & Coach Building Co. based in Blackpool, England. Five years later they expanded into cars, producing bodies for the Austin Seven two-seater, followed by a sedan version in 1928 – the same year the company moved to what would become a famous home in Coventry. Its first proper cars were the 1931 SS1 and SS2 – low-bodied, long-bonneted models – and the company changed its name to SS Cars in 1934. An open-seater variant called the SS1 Tourer was the first taste of motorsport, competing in the 1933 Alpine Trial. Following WWII, the company name was changed to Jaguar Cars, Ltd., and Lyons continued pushing for more powerful products.
For consignment a Jaguar XJ6 with a shorter wheelbase and 6-cylinder engine. Bathed in beautiful black, this luxury cruiser was for those who could not afford the upcoming V-12 version but wanted the prestige of owning a Jaguar. Speaking of prestige, this car has a long list of awards including a Concours National Winner in class 10 in 1981, 1987, 1991, and 1997. In addition it has taken best of show in Potomac Washington, King of Prussia, and New Hope. This wonderful car was also display for a time at the Biltmore estate. Very impressive!
Very straight rust-free steel panels adorn the exterior of this car. They are covered in black paint which is also in very good condition. From its long front swept “bonnet” which is flanked by aerodynamic fenders with dual round headlights on either side, and a centered grille, to its “boot” aerodynamics were always in mind. Plenty of shiny chrome and brite work adorn this car at the bumpers, grille, drip moldings and window surrounds. Even chrome tipped dual exhaust pipes are seen peeking out from under the shiny rear bumper.
Flip open the doors and you are met with a nice combination of patina wood, straight flat design, and classy, worn with time leather buckets up front. The center console houses the power window switches, and a petite “T” shift lever reminiscent of the '60's. Also noted are plenty of toggles, and wheeled controls for temperature, fan speeds and air ducting. A couch like bench seat with 2 distinct seating areas is seen stretching across the spacious back passenger compartment. Headliner is nice and tight, and carpeting to match seats is in good condition.
A 4.2 Liter DOHC I6 sits comfortably in the nicely presenting engine bay. It is fed a fuel and air mixture by 2 SU carburetors. Attached to the back of this engine, is a BW-12 3-speed automatic transmission that shifts smoothly.
Clean, rust free, and sturdy, and covered in an undercoat, no signs of any invasive rust here.
A taste of luxury and Jaguar power, this classic saloon starts quickly, shifts smoothly, and puts on a nice showing dressed in its tuxedo black with nice chrome. Interior has creature comforts, and a nicely preserved wood dash panel with plenty of gauges and toggle switches. Early British luxury with a very smooth ride.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 300 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.