1933 Dodge Phaeton
1933 Dodge Phaeton
Dodge was founded in 1900 by Horace and John Dodge (The Dodge Brothers). It was initially known as the Dodge Brothers Company and used to sell bicycles, but then within two years it became a major supplier of axles, engines, and transmissions to the automobile industry. The company was incredibly successful from the outset and gained a good reputation even during its early stages in the timeline. That's how the Dodge history beginning looks like, successful from the start.
The US and Australia made '33 Dodges that looked the same from 20 feet. The US produced 1,563 convertible coupes ie. roll up door windows and lay flat windshields. Australia produced 2 additional bodies manufactured by T.J.Richards that were not available in the US market. A Roadster and a 4-Door Phaeton ie. door side curtains, the only glass was the front windshield. The US cars were of all metal construction and the Oz bodies were wood framed with tin tacked on. Close inspection reveals 100 differences in the detail between the US and Oz product. All '33 Dodge rag tops are very rare. There are only 3 or 4 listed in the DBC roster. Mechanically the US and Oz product are very close to being identical albeit the Oz product is mostly the 111" wheel base, the opposite of the US survivors.
With its underlying wood panels, and tin stretched over it, this very rare Phaeton (4-door) convertible built in Australia (Oz) graces our halls here at Classic Auto Mall. Dripping with 1920's styling from its low raked long ragtop which is in very good condition, covers tin panels in red, with a contrasting set of maroon fenders, and running boards with beautiful white pinstripe. Spare tires neatly tuck into the front fenders, and rest on the beginnings of the running boards. Up- front a curvaceous body matching vertical rod grille swoops downward, curves out, and comes together at a small point at the bottom. It is wrapped in a chrome covered radiator with a charging Ram radiator cap ornament. Large single chromed headlights emanate from the fenders and perch themselves on chromed mountings. 2 yellow running lights sit atop a Oz only feature of the front bumper with a curve in the middle. Bringing up the rear we note the same curved bumper, and a matching luggage rack. Pristine red metal spoked wheels with wide whites on thin tires are on all 4 corners. Noted this car does not have side curtains, as they were not available in Australia as an option!
Beautiful red leather seats are within the passenger compartment and have the creases and patina of an old gentlemanly face that has witnessed the passage time. Comfortable and spacious. A simple gauge cluster in patina aluminum with aged cream faced gauges and black pointers is within the body matching steel dash. All functioning, and all very simplistic. An original steering wheel fronts this dash. Red carpet covers the floors and is in excellent condition.
A good looking and well running 203ci L headed inline 6-cylinder power plant in factory correct bluish green paint, sits in a clean engine bay. A 1-barrel downdraft carburetor feeds the engine petrol, and power is transferred to a 3-speed manual transmission which would have a faint grinding sound to it when back pressure is applied with a lift from the throttle. Overall transmission shifts smoothly and effortlessly
Having undergone a total restoration in the early 1970's this car still holds its appearance very well, and the underside his no exception. A clean rust-free frame, floorpans that are near perfect, and underside of rockers and running boards are pristine. Leaf spring suspension is noted, along with 4-wheel drum brakes.
A rare bird here in the US. An Australian built by T.J. Richards and Son automobile with tin stretched over wood framing, something very unique not only in its construction but its many nuances in design differences from its American counterparts. How it got here has been lost in time, but now that it's made the trip, you could be the only person within the borders of many states to own an OZ built Adelaide Bodied #39289, and Engine #T5-17664. Approximately only 4,000 miles have been clocked on since the 1970's restoration.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 300 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.
Also for Sale...
Charger R/T SE
440ci V8 6-Pack On Top HD 727 Torqueflite Trans RT/SE
Original Paint Original Interior 273ci V8 3-Speed Automatic
Mellow Yellow Paint/Carpet & Hardwood Cargo/318ci V8 /Blackened Bumpers