1954 MG TF
1954 MG TF
In 1980 the remains of the MG Car Company, under British Leyland, authorized Victor Antique Auto (AKA Great Lakes Motor Car of Rochester, New York) to build a very limited number of 25th Anniversary “Tribute Vehicles” to what many considered to be the combination of MG's finest accomplishments in terms of both styling and performance. They set out to combine the legendary 1954/55 MGTF body with MGB running gear. Only 17 of these 25 “custom bodied” vehicles are known to still exist and the “Black Widow” you are viewing is believed to be the final one (#25) of these extremely faithful “MG-based generic reproductions” approved by British Leyland to be assembled. (Four are still in England and this may be the only one presently on the East Coast.)
This one-of-a-kind “deluxe” model passed through three different owners in three states over nearly 30 years before finally being nearly fully assembled from 2006 to 2010 by a retired engineer. The current owner (who also briefly owned a 1952 MGTD in 1972) purchased the car in July 2010 in Kentucky with only 205 miles on the odometer, and undertook to have it completed and titled, registered and tagged for the first time ever/anywhere in Delaware in August 2010.
A combination of steel, and a majority molded from original steel fiberglass parts make up this factory body, with straight panels and consistent gaps between them. Curving fenders, sloping to the small running board attach to each side. A classic long hood, and very short sloping back say true MG early design. This “Deluxe” last model comes equipped with an extremely rare MG “Midge” hood ornament with an engraved radiator cap, custom hamper (picnic basket), with monogrammed pewter octagon plates, all side curtains, and 15 rare and valuable car club badges. Good condition convertible top moves manually up and down, but you need to know what you are doing to complete this task! Spoked knockoff style wheels are on all 4 corners, as well as on the spare.
Deep red leather buckets offer amazingly comfortable seating in a very small cockpit. A padded leather dash covers the top of the dash in an “eyebrow” style adds a wonderful contrast to the custom walnut fascia/dashboard. Seen within the dash are new gauges, and a navigation screen. Black carpeting grounds everything and presents in very nice condition.
This vehicle uses a completely rebuilt engine with a modernized drive-train (5-bearing 1800cc/95bhp engine, 4-speed synchromesh-transmission, front disc brakes, suspension, heater, etc.) from a 1969 MGB, placed on a sturdier than original custom-built frame/chassis that also accommodates an exact reproduction in mostly fiberglass of the 1954 TF body.
Titled a 1954 MG TF, but all the trappings of modernization. It has won over 200 local, regional, and national awards/trophies. There are a great many spare parts mostly that came with the car prior to the upgrading and finishing to its current state.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 150 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. A 450 barn find collection is currently also on display.
This vehicle is in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.