1940 Plymouth

Woody Station Wagon

Offered At

$48,500

Stock
873
Engine Size
201
Transmission Type
3 Speed Manual
Vin
10925386
Miles
3,250

1940 Plymouth Woody Station Wagon

1940 Plymouth Woody Station Wagon

Just into the 20th century, furniture makers began making "woodies" as a sideline to their businesses. They would purchase an automobile without a body and build a body from wood. These custom vehicles were often set up like small buses and were commonly used by resorts to transport guest to and from railroad depots. They weren't called woodies back then. Rather, they were known as "depot hacks". In the horse-drawn days, a "hack" was a wagon.

Pennsylvania 6-5000 was being danced to by women garnished by newly invented nylon stockings, all the while the suspension bridge Galloping Girdie, was about to snap in a windstorm off of the Tacoma Washington Coast. Meanwhile a talented coach builder named Raymond Dietrich put pen to paper and imagined the sleek Art Deco designed P-10 Winchester which then went to U.S. Body and Forge Co. in Buffalo, New York to be fitted with the material that gave it the name Woody.

Exterior
An immaculate restoration that has left no stone unturned, shows perfect deep maroon Plymouth front body, fenders, hood, and cowling, and rubber covered running boards. Chrome bumpers and brite-work badging, are all in excellent condition. Ash and Oak cover the remainder of the car, and make up most of the structure, along with steel hinges, window surrounds, and door hinge hardware. Varnished finish appears in very fine condition interior and exterior. Mayflower wood ship embellishments are on the center of the moon hubcaps. Wide white sidewall tires compliment the look. This is all topped by a new vinyl roof which covers the interior exposed slats.

Interior
Inside, there are three vinyl covered bench seats, and the rear two--one wider than the other--were removable to accommodate passenger and cargo needs.
The spare tire is seen behind the drivers bench and is covered. Complimentary yellow colored metal tubing create the frames and feet for the seating. A large maroon painted and mixed chromed metal dash fronts the drivers bench. The original radio has been chromed and is working. The Art Deco styled gauge cluster features the familiar "Safety Signal" speedometer--with a pointer that was green up to 30MPH, then amber up to 50MPH and then red over 50MPH-is set into a revised instrument panel with other ancillary gauges. A 3 on the tree manual transmission with an additional overdrive knob under the dash is seen and the original steering wheel is in excellent condition. The interior roof is wood lath strips with structural arches, and all wood and all varnished.

Drivetrain
Under the hood is the road-proven 201.3-cu.in. L-head, straight-six engine. It features a 6.7:1 compression ratio, solid-lifter camshaft, aluminum alloy pistons with four rings, hardened exhaust-valve seat inserts, full-length water jackets, full-pressure lubrication, calibrated ignition and a one-barrel carburetor. It produced 84hp. The pistons, valve-lifter faces and the crankshaft journals were "Superfinished." According to the company, it was a, "...process developed by Chrysler for finishing metal surfaces to microscopic smoothness..." to reduce friction and increase durability. To decrease heat and extend longevity, the clutch bellhousing featured ventilation holes. Helical-cut Amola-steel gears and blocker-type synchronizers in the three-speed manual transmission reduced running noise and clash during gear changes. Roller bearings were used in the universal joints to reduce heat and friction, and 4.10 Amola-steel hypoid gears were housed in the Hotchkiss differential. Amola steel was developed by Chrysler and said to be stronger than other types of steel. The box-section, X-braced frame utilized a coil-sprung independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms, an anti-roll bar (in De Luxe) and "True-Steady" steering with an 18.2:1 gear ratio. Leaf springs with metal covers located the rear end and airplane-type shocks and a lower center of gravity improved handling. Hydraulic 10-inch drum brakes were used front and rear, and the Superfinished drums and contoured-ground brake facings provided full contact between them. The steel wheels measured 16 x 4 inches and 6.00 x 16 bias-ply tires were mounted.

A true collector car, with the restoration already complete, and done really well. Drives smooth and shifts beautifully. If someone get a bit too close, it has a dual horn system that rivals an oncoming train! “Wood” you be tempted to take a closer look at Classic Auto Mall?

Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 150 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. A 450 barn find collection is currently also on display.
This vehicle is in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.