1957 Chevrolet Pickup
1957 Chevrolet Pickup
For 1957, a number of visual changes were made on the Chevrolet trucks: The former egg-crate grille was changed to a more open-mouthed design, with eight bars holding an open trapezoid in the center, and a pair of windsplits appeared on the hood. Dished steering wheel, safety door locks and strikers, and a more rigidly mounted rear axle (using threaded spring shackles instead of the center-draw-bolt type used previously) were among the other improvements. The V8 models grew to 283ci, 160hp and 270 foot-pounds of torque.
There were more substantial changes, though: For the growing 4x4 market, GM introduced an optional four-wheel-drive system (made by NAPCO of Minneapolis, Minnesota). It utilized a four-speed transmission and two-speed transfer case, with the driver choosing between direct-drive or a 1.87:1 underdrive; in effect, eight forward and two reverse speeds were available. The solid front axle was similar to the one in the rear and also hung from the leaf-spring suspension. Four-wheel-drive was available in half-ton, 3/4-ton and one-ton variants.
A more radical sheetmetal change, including a switch to quad headlamps, came for 1958; the last of the Task-Force trucks rolled off the line in the summer of 1959.
Pricing started at $1,430 for a half-ton shortbed in 1955, clear up to a $2,023 one-ton 3800. By 1957, when our featured vehicle was built, a similar half-ton shortbed 3100 was $1,800--a 26 percent price increase in just two years. Beyond the V8, mechanical options included power steering, power brakes, and a choice of three-speed synchromesh (with or without overdrive), a four-speed synchromesh and a four-speed automatic transmission. A side-mounted spare was also on the options list.
Tri-5 Chevys are always in demand, and pickup trucks are no exception. This frame-off restored 1957 we are offering is a beauty, from its striking red paint with ghost flames to the wood detailing on the bed rails and bed floor. The bed also features a solid lift up tonneau that's covered in a Haartz cloth type material and held up with gas cylinders. The interior continues the fine quality of the outside with a red embossed cloth seat, double weave carpet, red and black painted dash with AM/FM stereo CD player, tilt steering column with LeCarra custom steering wheel. This isn't just another pretty truck, the suspension has been upgraded with an early 90's IROC Camaro sub frame, the rear differential is a Lincoln Versailles posi-trac w/disc brakes, and it rolls on 20 and 22-inch wheels and tires. Power comes from the IROC tuned port fuel injected 305ci engine and 700R4 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission. This truck also makes for comfortable cruising with power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning. A solid truck that's ready to go.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 100 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. A 450 barn find collection is currently on display.
This vehicle is in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.