Our hours are Mon-Tue-Thur-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Wednesday 9:00am-8:00pm and Saturday 9:00am-12:00 Noon. We are closed on Sundays.

Learn More

1954 Mercury Monterey Hardtop

1954 Mercury Monterey Hardtop

The Mercury Monterey is a series of full-size cars that were manufactured and marketed by the Mercury division of Ford from 1952 to 1974. Deriving its name from Monterey Bay, the Mercury Monterey served as the replacement for the Mercury Eight, the debut model line of the Mercury division. During its production, the Monterey would be offered in multiple body styles, ranging from coupes, convertibles, sedans, hardtops, and station wagons. Over its 22 years of production, the Monterey served as the flagship, mid-range, and entry-level offering of the full-size Mercury product range. The only Mercury nameplate to be in continuous production throughout the 1960s.

For consignment some big chrome, big trimmings and nicely scaled front hood scoop and wrap around glass we give you Mercury's generation 2 of the Monterey. Graced with a 312ci Y block 8 cylinder, and bathed in mellow yellow, you can own a snappy boulevard cruiser/head turner right out of the early 1950's when Detroit was definitely king.

Exterior
Leading the way is a nicely chromed dual tier front bumper. Vertical struts with mini dagmar toppers point forward and flank a back vertical ribbed center portion of the grille. The hood cascaded downward and has a large chromed Mercury badge that edges the front of the hood. Simple single headlights grace the front of each quarter and the dual bumper wraps around the front corners. A chromed trimmed hood scoop adds a bit of sportiness and Vees outward as it approached the windshield. All glass has thick chromed surrounds and dual spotlights are mounted on, and on the drivers door is a chromed side view mirror too. A black painted hardtop is above and around these window trimmings and the rear glass is simulating the bubble windows yet to come. On either side is a large trim spear running the length, and on back are fender skirts, with a trio of horizontal rigs to simulate motion in static form. On back a large rear bumper cradles the chrome trimmed cathedral style taillights and dual chrome tiled exhaust peek out from below. All bathed in yellow with straight steel showing several areas of rust bubbling on the sides near the rocker and hastily touched up chip offs throughout. On the passenger rear quarter is a previous repair which has been painted with a rattle can. The black top also shows some cracking of the paint, and the seams of the chrome surrounds and B pillar trim have rough edges where they meet, signaling there may be some nefarious rust invasion at battle.

Interior
A swing of the doors and smooth black vinyl covers the door panels. These also sport a boomerang shaped thin chromed trim for an accent, as well as shiny cranks and actuators, a black armrest, and a chromed ribbed insert in a cove in the upper inside door where it meets the A pillar. Inside are nicely preserved black vinyl tuck and roll seats. This pattern continues upward to the mid backs where it then begins its smooth surface journey around the remainder of the backs and bolsters. A wide rear bench awaits the passengers, and it is beautifully preserved in the same pattern as the front split back bench. A full metal dash painted black has a single eyebrow bump up in front of the driver. Here we note the gauge cluster which is nice and clean. A large oval shaped chromed box is atop the steering column and it has a series of 4 jetson-esque oval topped T bar sliders for various controls. An original black steering wheel with nice chromed horn rings and center is fronting the futuristic dash. In the center is an AM radio presumed to be original to the car and a centrally mounted clock. Black carpeting for the floors and its looking good, and a black headliner with punched armhole pattern is tightly mounted above and on the B pillars. A note to the trunk, which is uber spacious, has the spare tire within and is lined with a wood trunk liner.

Drivetrain
Under the hood in a restored but showing patina engine bay is a gold painted Y block V8 in 312ci displacement. It has piloted badged Thunderbird badged valve covers and a shiny round modern air cleaner filter cover. A single 4-barrel Edelbrock carb breathes in this filtered air. Dual exhaust provides the exhale. On the back of this gold Y block is a Merc-O-Matic 3-speed automatic transmission. The rear axle on this car is a 3.54 ratio. All hoses and other bolt ons are not rusted and retain a nice shine throughout.

Undercarriage
Solid steel framing and floor pans underneath have a nice coating of black undercoating. Dual cherry bomb exhaust snakes its way rearward, past independent coil springs upfront and to the rear leaf springs. Drum brakes are on all 4 corners. It is mostly rust free with some previous repairs noted on the inside of the rear fenders along with performed repairs on some of the body hangers and some areas due for repair on other hangers and the inner rocker panels.

Drive-Ability
The circa 1959 engine now in this Merc fired right up and idled smoothly. On the test track the 4-barrel Edelbrock provided plenty of fuel to burn and move this large beautiful hunk of steel forward, and somewhat quickly! The power steering was inoperable. Consigner states new brakes hoses and lines were recently put in and they worked fine but had a pull to the left on the panic stopping.

In need of some TLC on the exterior paint however chrome and trimmings are all in excellent condition. A nicely curved bubble style rear glass, and large cruiser that can go all day on a turnpike road and turning plenty of heads while doing so.

VIN DECODE
54ME84212M
54-1954
ME-Metuchen, NJ Assy Plant
84212-Sequential Unit Number
STYLE BR60E-Monterey 2 Door Hardtop
05-Granby Gray
453-Light Green Ladder Stripe Upholstery
30J-October 30th Build Date

Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 600 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.