- Engine Size
- 239 V8
- Transmission Type
- 3 Speed Manual
1940 Mercury Eight Convertible
1940 Mercury Eight Convertible
Mercury is a defunct division of the U.S. automobile manufacturer Ford Motor Company. Marketed as an entry-level premium brand for nearly its entire existence, Mercury was created in 1938 by Edsel Ford to bridge the price gap between the Ford and Lincoln vehicle lines.
Reminiscent of the 1940's design line this car drips from the era. With teardrop headlight bezels now mounted completely within the front fenders, a V shaped grille and running boards now ready to almost disappear, this car presents with upscale class and in convertible form.
The overall designs they are-a-changin' with disappearing running boards, integrated teardrop headlights in the fenders, a belt line trim spear, simple curved solid bumper, bulbous fenders, and a rounded sloping down trunk lid the beginnings of aerodynamics are in their infancy with the design of this car. Chrome is excellent, top works fantastic and looks great up or down and metal panels are straight and rust free, bathed in deep burgundy. The tan canvas convertible top has a clear rear window in plastic, and some snappy red piping trim running around it. New pie crust wide white radials are covered in the center with chromed deep-dish rims, burgundy steel wheels, and dog dish chromed centers. The 1940's have started off with a bang.
New cream faced VDO gauges replace the originals and are embedded in a horizontal ribbed metal panel painted brown. The entire dash is full metal jacket and all bathed in brown and includes a rectangular art deco styled clock with a fat cream bakelite bezel. The original steering wheel in a heavier banjo style has our namesake god's head, complete with wings in its center. Brown vinyl covers the seats both large benches the front sporting a split back for easy access to the rear bench. Door panels are a matching brown vinyl with some leather looking folds and crackle finish to it. Nice clean thick pile brown carpeting floods the floors and all is clean inside.
A 239ci V8 complete with Edelbrock aluminum heads and dual Ford 2-barrel carbs, will utilize every inch of the 3-speed manual transmission attached to the back and a 3.54 rear axle. The engine bay is looking well organized with red spark plug wires all marching inline, and a blue painted block with some shiny chromed attachments, and dual polished radiator fluid circulating hoses.
Fully restored absolutely no rust, a strong X frame and sturdy body hangers, rockers and floorpans. New exhaust, and that blue engine block has no runs or drips showing. Seen are Smitty's mufflers in glass pack style. Transverse leaf springs for the suspension all around, and drum brakes are in use.
Simply…elegant, this rolling 1940 Dearborn sculpture offers up a smooth idle.
Overall a wonderful restoration, all buttoned up, with near perfect paint, excellent undercarriage, beautifully detailed engine and bay, and very comfortable interior with just a small upgrade to modern on the instruments. Like a fine wine it has aged very well, and can be opened anytime you want.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 600 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.
Also for Sale...
Nosed Decked Louvered Frenched/Modern 350ci V8/TH350 3-Speed/Camaro Subframe
11,350 Original Miles/25 Years in Storage/Numbers Matching 390 V8/3-Speed Auto
Tuxedo Black/Nice Chrome/6.75 Liter V8/Leather Interior