1951 MG TD Roadster
1951 MG TD Roadster
The common belief is that the name "M.G." stands for "Morris Garages". Whether or not this is true has been the subject of much debate over the years. While it is much easier to simply accept the most visually obvious answer to the issue, there is substantial evidence that it is not true. The other side of the argument states that M.G. stands for itself and is not an abbreviation, but rather a name in itself. Evidence for this argument is on the vehicle maker's plate which always state the full name of the company who built it. On every M.G. made, it states "The M.G. Car Company", never "The Morris Garages Car Company". Even looking back to the earliest days of M.G., one cannot find Morris Garages listed on any company letterhead or even in the very first M.G. Magazine ad of 1933.
For consignment a 1950 version of the TD. A good handling, fender and running board design, tall front grille and large open headlights, sums up the cosmetic part. As for the engine, 4-cylinders fire away inside an excellent restored engine, and compartment. The sound of this car can only be described as music to the British sports car enthusiast's ears.
Yellow cream in beautiful condition cover the exterior surfaces of this car. Pre pony car, the long tall bonnet, vertical grille, radiator topper, and open headlights make up the front of the car, and a very short rear swoops toward the ground. The rear houses the 12-gallon fuel tank, and a spare tire. “Suicide” doors allow entry into the passenger compartment and are adorned with near perfect chromed handles and latches. Front and rear fenders are held together by a running board and frame vented steel 15” wheels...gone are the tall wire wheels of previous models. Chrome bumpers, windshield surround, and radiator trim are in good shiny condition.
Green interior leather bucket seats with a bench back stretch the width of the cockpit. The handbrake nests between the two seats. A double swooping dash covered in green leather houses the glovebox, ignition, choke starter, and various warning lights. These rest in a centered tan trimmed in chrome gauge and light cluster. Behind the large tan banjo steering wheel, are beautiful mint green speedometer, and a tachometer with an inset clock. These emit a soothing green glow at night. Black carpeting covers the floor and the rear baggage compartment and is in very nice condition. The frame for the convertible top is present, and a very nice canvas is over this frame.
A pristinely restored 4-cylinder engine with dual SU carburetors and an oil bath air cleaner is seen inside a super clean engine compartment. An 8” clutch with a 4-speed manual transmission that shifts like a dream is attached to the back.
A view of the underside of this car reveals a really nice restoration, nearly perfect with all looking virtually new, with no rust. 4-wheel drum brakes are present, and all in working condition.
This classic car is in beautiful restored condition. It drives and sounds beautifully, starts easily, and once warmed up is a really fun driver. With lack of side windows this is not a car you would take out when you are forced to wear your wellies, and it would not be all that fun anyway! My suggestion would be to just keep the tonneau cover over the top down position and enjoy the beautiful weather when it comes around!
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 450 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.